Mrs. Hall

Mrs. Hall

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Picture Books

The book I chose is Dragonology because many YA readers (grades 5-8) have an interest in fantasy and dragon books. It is one of those books that pretends to be a rare or lost account of a scientist who studies "real" creatures. There are similar books about gnomes, monsters, and fairies. This one has little inserts that are supposed to be real documents such as, "A Dragonologist's Personal Record Book." There are many detailed illustrations of dragons from all over the world. This type of picture book is often found in the library right next to the fairytale and folktales from around the world (non-fiction section). Folktales are often illustrated in picture book format and are used in the middle school to enhance country studies or for storytelling.
Some other picture books I remember the teachers using were Shakespeare plays, Sir Cumference: A Math Adventure, and the Ruth Heller World of Language books.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, that sounds like a fun book for an adult read too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea, Ruth Heller is a great author and beautiful pictures. Now find some picture books with some topics that are really for YA's.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sir Cumference book sounds like one I might use for my text set. I am endeavoring to find every math related book that middle schoolers can utilize since I will be teaching math next year and fear that I won't get to use the right side of my brain enough.

    I've had several kids reading Dragonolgy and even have one student this year that is so in love with the book that she is adding her own "reports" to the book.

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  4. The math books you mentioned are pretty great! I enjoy reading them even as an adult. This book also sounds interesting I have never been into fantasy but definitely have students who can't get enough of it. I will have to suggest it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dragonology sounds like it would be a great addition to my folklore collection for school.

    ReplyDelete