Mrs. Hall

Mrs. Hall

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Week 2 Reading

I do not use the word adolescent very often, and if I do, it means teenager. I guess that defining adolescence as a "period where young people are separating from their parents, and trying out new identities" is not new. The part that is new is the studies that find the adolescent mind isn't fully developed yet. Children at this stage in their lives need to be supported and understood. Why can't they act like adults....because they do not think or feel in the same way that adults do yet. I'm glad that many writers recognize adolescence as a unique time of life and write books that appeal to these readers. The defining moments were delicious to read even though some were heartbreaking. I felt that I was connected to authors I admire by reading their personal experiences.
"What is an adolescent anyway?" An adolescent is a young person who is trying to become an individual who has a place in his/her society, rapidly developing in both mind and body, testing limits, and is still dependant on others for support.

1 comment:

  1. I believe it's terribly important to know about authors and to share some what you know with your students. They need to know they are real people too.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete