Mrs. Hall

Mrs. Hall

Saturday, May 22, 2010

ESCAPE! The Story of the Great Houdini

I met Sid Fleischman during my last year at the middle school library. He performed magic for the younger students and talked about writing books with everyone. His hearing wasn't good, so the teachers had to repeat each question that the students asked him. That night some of the librarians took Sid out to Beezy's on the Creek for dinner. I sat right next to him as he told me about his son who is also a writer. Sid was patient and funny, and I was sad to see this on his official website:
Sid Fleischman died peacefully on March 17, 2010,a day after his 90th birthday.
Visit Sid Fleischman's Memorial Page

Anyway, I knew this book was in the library, but had not read it. It starts with an auction in New York of a monogrammed pocket from Houdini's pajamas. The fact that this pocket sold for $3,910 would capture the attention of a YA reader who just happened to pick up this book from the non-fiction section. The type is large and the book is illustrated with pictures of Houdini locked in chains, dangling upside-down in a tank of water while handcuffed, etc.
Sid Fleischman easily draws you in with his storytelling. He tells of Houdini's birth in Budapest, Hungary to a Jewish family. He then tells how Houdini erased the parts of his life that he felt held him back, and reinvented himself. Sid Fleischman lets his readers know that Houdini had many failures at first and learned by hours of practice and reading about magic. I liked the part about Houdini's wife Bess. They travelled and performed together in many European countries. Russia was one place that Sid Fleischman was surprised Houdini was able to escape. He writes, "No foreign Jews were allowed into Russia." the author makes a guess and says that Houdini's wife was a Catholic and "converted Harry on the spot."
I have not finished the book yet, and I am interested to read how the other Y Book Group members are enjoying it.

4 comments:

  1. Group Y: I love that you recommended this book. I haven't enjoyed nonfiction in a long time and if there was more of it written like Sid wrote it, I would be much more knowledgeable.

    It seems like he did a perfect job of writing the facts in what seems like narrative form. I wonder if it was a different subject matter if he could have done such a wonderful job. Houdini's life was made to create a narrative. I think another thing that really helped Sid write this as if it were a fictional narrative was becuase he actually came in at the end of the story when he got to I think live at Bess Houdini's home in California.

    I'm going to see if Fleishmann wrote any other nonfiction. It is too bad that he died recently because his nonfiction is as wonderful as his fiction.

    Enjoy the reading Group Y!
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book came in the mail today, and I have a screaming toddler at this second, so I'm not very far into the book and I'm not sure how coherent this post is even going to be. So, bear with me, please. :)

    I agree with Kristina... I'm so glad you recommended this book. So far, it is one of the best nonfiction books I've read in a long time. Fleishmann draws you in with his language. The illustrations are perfectly suited to the chapters. My favorite picture so far is on page 5, where he is laughing while all tied up. The picture captures his joy and enjoyment.

    I thought his journey to New York was interesting. It's clear that he took on a responsible role for his family at a very young age. I think many of the students I've had can identify with that. There is a sad number of kids who practically become another parent in their households quite young, much like Houdini.

    I'm on page 31, where he's just started performing with his friend as the Houdini Brothers. I really like how short the chapters are. This would make it a great read aloud book, or a small group book. The shorter chapters make it quite versatile. I'm looking forward to reading more tonight once the toddler is asleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orchid,
    Thanks for sharing you Sid Fleischman story. That puts thing into perspective. I did know that he had passed away. I believe that Paul Fleischman is his son and has written for a long time. Sounds like a very interesting that I now want to read.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally finished the book around everything else. WOW! I want to introduce this book to everyone I know now. I think the humor in it is especially appealing. I love that Houdini lied even to himself in his own journal (about how much he lost gambling). Fleischman does such a fantastic job showing Houdini's over-the-top personality. And, Houdini's devotion to his wife is so sweet. I can see using this book in a classroom easily.

    I'm so glad you suggested it, Orchid. It's a perfect biography for young adults.

    ReplyDelete